- Foundations of Mathematics 12
Welcome to Math 12 Foundations. The following are references for students and parents that will be used throughout the semester.
- PLO: A1
Solve problems that involve compound interest in financial decision making.
- 1.1 Explain the advantages and disadvantages of compound interest and simple interest.
- 1.2 Identify situations that involve compound interest.
- 1.3 Graph and compare, in a given situation, the total interest paid or earned for different compounding periods.
- 1.4 Determine, given the principal, interest rate and number of compounding periods, the total interest of a loan.
- 1.5 Graph and describe the effects of changing the value of one of the variables in a situation that involves compound interest.
- 1.6 Determine, using technology, the total cost of a loan under a variety of conditions; e.g., different amortization periods, interest rates, compounding periods and terms.
- 1.7 Compare and explain, using technology, different credit options that involve compound interest, including bank and store credit cards and special promotions.
- 1.8 Solve a contextual problem that involves compound interest
Quiz: Simple Interest Thursday Sept.15/16
Assessment: Compound Interest Thursday Sept.22/16
- PLO: A2
Analyze costs and benefits of renting, leasing and buying
- 2.1 Identify and describe examples of assets that appreciate or depreciate.
- 2.2 Compare, using examples, renting, leasing and buying.
- 2.3 Justify, for a specific set of circumstances, if renting, buying or leasing would be advantageous.
- 2.4 Solve a problem involving renting, leasing or buying that requires the manipulation of a formula.
- 2.5 Solve, using technology, a contextual problem that involves cost-and-benefit analysis.
- PLO: B1
Analyze puzzles and games that involve numerical and logical reasoning, using problem solving strategies.
- PLO: B2
Solve problems that involve the application of set theory.
- PLO: B3
Solve problems that involve conditional statements.
- PLO: C4
Solve problems that involve the fundamental counting principle.
Friday Nov.04/16 - PLO: C4 - Fundamental Counting Principle
- PLO: C5
Solve problems that involve permutations.
Tuesday Nov.15/16 - PLO:C5 - Permutations (permutations of identical objects, network problems)
- PLO: C6
Solve problems that involve combinations.
Wednesday Nov.23/16 Assessment: Combinations PLO: C6
- PLO: C1
Interpret and assess the validity of odds and probability statements.